Organic Seed Production
Monday, October 2; noon - 4 p.m.
Organic Seed Alliance and Essential Blooms, Chimacum
In this two part farm walk, learn how Organic Seed Alliance and Essential Blooms are contributing to the organic seed supply. Organic Seed Alliance is non-profit that educates farmers and the agricultural community, conducts professional plant breeding and production research, and advocates on the national level for organic seed. Essential Blooms is a certified organic operation which sells wholesale quantities of unusual and unique flower varieties. Experts from WSU and High Mowing Organic Seeds will also be on hand to provide more information about trials, breeding, and the organic seed market.
Are you interested in becoming certified organic, but unsure of the process? Join us at KS Orchards in Grant County where growers will share their experience in adopting organic practices and completing the certification process. Owner, Dain Craver, has successfully transitioned several of his orchards to organic, including KS Orchards, which has been certified since 2010. Representatives from the WSDA Organic Program will also be available to answer questions regarding the certification process and connect you with resources to successfully transition your own operation.
Online registration has closed. However, you are welcome to register at the farm on the day of the farm walk.
Finnriver Orchard and Cider Garden
124 Center Road
Chimacum, WA 98325
If you are taking a ferry, please check the schedule in advance and allow for extra time. You can look up more information here: https://www.wsdot.com/ferries/schedule/ and be sure to reference the Fall Sailing schedule!
DIRECTIONS FROM SEATTLE:
• Take the Seattle to Bainbridge Island or Edmonds to Kingston Ferry.
• Follow signs to the HOOD CANAL Bridge.
• (Be aware that there may be travel delays with the bridge. Check out the Hood Canal DOT website).
• Cross the Bridge and Follow Route 104 west for about 10 miles.
• Take the Chimacum/Port Townsend exit up Beaver Valley Road
• At the Chimacum 4-way stop, go LEFT onto Center Road.
• Our new location is a few hundred yards on your right. Turn at the Finnriver Orchard sign into the gravel parking lot.
DIRECTIONS FROM PORT ANGELES, SEQUIM:
• Travel east on Highway 101 past Discovery Bay
• Take Route 104 (toward Hood Canal Bridge, but not across)
• Take the Chimacum/Quilcene exit. This is also the "Olympic Music Festival" exit.
• Turn LEFT at the bottom of the ramp onto Center Road, heading North.
• Continue about 6.5 miles to just south of the Chimacum 4-way stop.
• Our new location is just south of the intersection. Turn left at the Finnriver Orchard sign into the gravel parking lot.
DIRECTIONS FROM PORT TOWNSEND:
• Travel south on Route 19 towards Chimacum.
• At the four-way stop, turn right onto Center Road, heading South.
• Our new location is just a few hudnred yards south of the intersection. Turn right at the Finnriver Orchard sign into the gravel parking lot.
If you have questions on the day of the farm walk please contact Nicole Witham at 425-218-3608 (cell).
Do Not Fill This Out